Trustees' Garden Club


Civic improvement Projects

Early Club projects included planting the grounds of the Sunshine Unit of the Chatham County Home for Tubercular Children, printing a monthly garden calendar and publishing a translation of extracts from the journal of naturalist Andre Michaux.  During the 1930’s and 1940’s, members actively supported the preservation of Savannah’s historic squares against encroaching traffic, advocated the addition of azaleas on Victory Drive, planted areas of Hunter Field Army Air Base, furnished flowers to the local military hospitals and sponsored horticulture lectures.These early projects began a long tradition of community improvements by the Trustees.


In addition to the projects in the menu above, the Club also has been involved in a wide variety of civic improvements: the grounds of the Savannah Science Museum, the Georgia Historical Society, the Telfair Academy of Arts, the YMCA, the entrance to the original Talmadge Bridge, the Spanish American War Memorial at the Laurel Grove Cemetery, projects for Hospice Savannah, and creation of a native plant garden at the Savannah Botanical Garden Center.